HTC Desire Z: Firmware Downgrade (Froyo)
This guide will walk you through the process of taking the HTC Desire Z from a stock, non-exploitable version of the Froyo firmware to a stock, exploitable version of the Froyo firmware. Once it is downgraded, you would proceed thru the process of getting CyanogenMod on the device. If the HTC Desire Z is already running firmware version 1.34.xxx.x or lower (Settings » About Phone » Software number ) you can skip to the vision install guide.
For other related guides please view the following:
- for the HTC Desire Z running Gingerbread, see the Gingerbread instructions.
Downgrading to 1.34.707.3
- You will need ADB on the computer to proceed thru this process. Follow the Android SDK guide, to get the ADB shell on the computer.
- Download psneuter, misc_version 0.2 & the 1.34.707.3 firmware:
- Unzip the psneuter & misc_version package and save flashgc to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder).
- Make sure the filename of the firmware is PC10IMG.zip exactly or it will not work and copy it to the same folder as adb.
- Connect the HTC Desire Z to the computer via USB.
- On the computer, open terminal and run the following commands:
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb push flashgc /data/local/tmp
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/flashgc
You should have the "#" sign instead of the "$". If you do, you have temporary root, and can continue on. If you have the "$", then the exploit has failed, refer to xda developers, RootzWiki, or #G2Root for further assistance.
./misc_version -s 1.00.000.0
- Now that misc version has been downgraded, the HTC Desire Z is ready to have the firmware downgraded. On the computer, open terminal and run the following commands:
adb push PC10IMG.zip /sdcard/PC10IMG.zip
adb reboot bootloader
- Use Volume up/down keys on the HTC Desire Z for navigation and Power key for confirmation. Select Bootloader to flash the 1.34.707.3 firmware.
- Once finished you can can continue to the next section.
Rooting the HTC Desire Z
- Please follow the vision install guide to continue.