Install and compile Heimdall
- 1 Linux
- 2 OSX
- 3 Windows
$ su -c 'yum groupinstall "Development Tools"' $ su -c 'yum install libusb1-devel qt-devel libtool'
After this step, skip to the instructions for generic Linux distributions below.
These instructions are for Debian based distributions including Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
$ sudo apt-get install heimdall-flash heimdall-flash-frontend
Compiling from source
$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake zlib1g-dev qt5-default libusb-1.0-0-dev libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dev
After this step, skip to the instructions for downloading and compiling below.
Generic Linux Instructions
These are distro-independent instructions.
Use your favourite package manager to install (the development version if your distro has seperate "-dev" packages)of the following pre-requisites:
Downloading and compiling
$ git clone git://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall.git $ mkdir -p Heimdall/build $ cd Heimdall/build $ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release .. $ make $ sudo cp bin/* /usr/local/bin
Start Heimdall by issuing either
heimdall-frontend in a terminal.
- First make sure you have installed XCode and pkgconfig.
- There are several different ways you can install pkgconfig, the simplest option is to use Homebrew.
$ brew install pkgconfig
- Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you downloaded, or extracted, Heimdall to.
- Install libusb >= 1.0:
- The simplest option is to use Homebrew.
$ brew install libusb
- Alternatively you may download and compile from: http://www.libusb.org/
- Enter the following commands to compile libpit.
$ cd libpit $ ./configure $ make $ cd ..
- NOTE: There is no need to run "sudo make install".
- Enter the following commands to compile and install Heimdall:
$ cd heimdall $ export CC=/usr/bin/clang CXX=/usr/bin/clang++ $ ./configure $ make $ sudo make install $ cd ..
- NOTE: The export line is needed to overcome a compile error with 1.4RC and will hopefully be unnecessary soon.
- NOTE: Do not be alarmed if the sudo make install ends with: make: Nothing to be done for `install-data-hook'
- If you haven't installed the driver before, enter the following:
$ cd OSX $ sudo ./install-kext.sh
Installing the Frontend
- First make sure you have installed XCode from your OS X install DVD.
- You'll also need Qt 4.7 or later, available from: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/
- Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you extracted Heimdall to.
- Enter the following commands to compile and install Heimdall Frontend:
$ cd heimdall-frontend $ qmake heimdall-frontend.pro
- Open Finder and navigate to the heimdall-frontend sub-directory. Open the newly created XCode project.
- From the menu bar select Build -> Build. This outputs heimdall-frontend to /Applications
Heimdall is available for download at http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/. However, to get the latest version, you must follow the instructions below to compile from source.
Compile with CMake
Download and install MSYS2 to set up a MinGW-W64 build environment. After installing, a terminal will launch. Issue the following commands:
$ pacman -Syu $ pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64 mingw-w64-x86_64-clang mingw-w64-x86_64-cmake mingw-w64-x86_64-libusb mingw-w64-x86_64-qt5-static make git $ export PATH="/mingw64/bin:$PATH" $ git clone git://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall.git $ mkdir -p Heimdall/build $ cd Heimdall/build $ cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DQt5Widgets_DIR=/mingw64/qt5-static/lib/cmake/Qt5Widgets .. $ make
After compiling, open a command prompt/Explorer window and navigate to
%msys64%\home\%username%\Heimdall\build\bin (where "%msys64%" is the directory you installed MSYS2 to, C:\msys64 by default). There should now be two executable files in that folder:
heimdall-frontend.exe. You can run them from that directory or move them to a more suitable location. Navigate to
%msys64%\home\%username%\Heimdall\Win32\Drivers for the Zadig (driver) executable.