How to Install CyanogenMod on the Motorola RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM) ("umts_spyder")
This guide will walk you through the process of taking the RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM) from stock to having a custom recovery image and the ability to flash the latest version of CyanogenMod.
Modifying or replacing your device's software may void your device's warranty, lead to data loss, hair loss, financial loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done entirely at your own risk. No one affiliated with the CyanogenMod project is responsible for your actions. Good luck.
This is a KEXEC build and must be installed in SafeStrap (builds older than 9/1/2013 must be installed on rom-slot1). CM-12.0 requires at least Safestrap v3.75.
Gaining Root Access with Razr's Edge (Windows Only)
- Download Razr's Edge (Credit to djrbliss)
- Download and install the Motorola device drivers.
- Unzip Razr's Edge to a folder on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging on the RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM): Settings > Developer Options and check the Android debugging box.
- Connect the RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM) to the computer via USB.
- On the computer, double click the run.bat file:
- Allow the exploit to finish, the RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM) may reboot several times.
- The RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM) is now rooted.
Installing SafeStrap Recovery
- Download the SafeStrap APK for RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM): Download
- Place the downloaded APK alongside adb on your computer.
- Enable installation from unknown sources on your RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM): Settings > Security and check the Unknown sources box.
- Open a terminal on your computer and navigate to the adb executable and run the following:
adb install YOURAPK.apk
- If you see [SUCCESS] in the terminal, continue on.
- NOTE: If you see [FAILED], please go back and ensure you've followed the instructions above to the letter.
- Run the SafeStrap app on the RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM).
- Once requested, permanently grant the application Superuser access.
- Click the button labeled Install Recovery.
- Once complete, reboot the device.
- When the SafeStrap splash screen appears, hit the Menu button on your RAZR/RAZR MAXX (GSM).
- Click the button labeled Boot Options.
- Activate romslot-1 and follow the instructions on the device.
- We will be updating SafeStrap to use all ROM slots for Kexec soon.
- Follow the instructions below for installing CyanogenMod from recovery.
Installing CyanogenMod from recovery
- Make sure your computer has working adb.
- Download the CyanogenMod build package for your device that you'd like to install to your computer.
- Optional: Download 3rd party applications packages, like Google Apps which are necessary to download apps from Google Play.
- Place the CyanogenMod
.zippackage, as well as any optional
.zippackages, on the root of
- Using adb:
adb push filename.zip /sdcard/
- Note: You can copy the
.zippackages to your device using any method you are familiar with. The
adbmethod is used here because it is universal across all devices and works in both Android and recovery mode. If you are in recovery mode, you may need to ensure
/sdcard(sometimes called Internal Storage) is mounted by checking its status in the Mounts menu. If you have booted regularly, USB debugging must be enabled.
- Using adb:
- If you are not already in recovery, boot to recovery mode now.
- Power and at SafeStrap splash screen press Menu key within 10 seconds
- In Team Win Recovery Project, select menu choices by tapping on the appropriately labelled button.
- Optional (Recommended): Select the Backup button to create a backup.
- Select Wipe and then Factory Reset.
- Select Install (if you're running Cyanogen recovery this is Apply Update).
- Navigate to
/sdcardand select the CyanogenMod
- Follow the on-screen notices to install the package.
- Optional: Install any additional packages you wish using the same method (if you are installing multiple packages, install CyanogenMod first and then install any subsequent packages on top of it).
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu and select Reboot, then System. The device will now boot into CyanogenMod.
See something wrong on this page? Click here: Report a Wiki Problem.