How to Install CyanogenMod on the Motorola Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) ("spyder")
This guide will walk you through the process of taking the Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) from stock to having a custom recovery image and the ability to flash the latest version of CyanogenMod.
Modifying or replacing your device's software may void your device's warranty, lead to data loss, hair loss, financial loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done entirely at your own risk. No one affiliated with the CyanogenMod project is responsible for your actions. Good luck.
This is a KEXEC build and must be installed in SafeStrap (builds older than 9/1/2013 must be installed on rom-slot1). CM-12.0 requires at least Safestrap v3.75.
Gaining Root Access with RazrBlade
- You will need ADB on the computer to root the Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA).
- Download the following files:
- Windows Only: Install the Motorola device drivers.
- Unzip Razr Blade to a folder on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging on the Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA): Settings > Developer Options and check the Android debugging box.
- Clear Smart Actions Data: Settings > Apps > Smart Actions and click the Clear data button.
- Ensure that your data is not encrypted: Settings > Security & Screen Lock > Data Encryption and uncheck both boxes, then press Apply
- Confirm Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) is using MTP for USB connection: Settings > Storage > ≡(Menu) Button > USB computer connection > Select Media device (MTP)
- Connect the Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) to the computer via USB.
- On the computer, double click the applicable file:
- Mac: razr_blade.sh
- Linux: razr_blade.sh
- Windows: run.bat
- Allow the exploit to finish, the Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) may reboot several times.
- When the exploit says "Cleaning up" you may need to look at your phone, unlock the screen if necessary, and press the "Grant" button to grant SuperUser permissions for the exploit to finish.
- The Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA) is now rooted.==Installing SafeStrap Recovery ==
- Download the SafeStrap APK for Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA): Download
- Place the downloaded APK alongside adb on your computer.
- Enable installation from unknown sources on your Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA): Settings > Security and check the Unknown sources box.
- Open a terminal on your computer and navigate to the adb executable and run the following:
adb install YOURAPK.apk
- If you see [SUCCESS] in the terminal, continue on.
- NOTE: If you see [FAILED], please go back and ensure you've followed the instructions above to the letter.
- Run the SafeStrap app on the Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA).
- Once requested, permanently grant the application Superuser access.
- Click the button labeled Install Recovery.
- Once complete, reboot the device.
- When the SafeStrap splash screen appears, hit the Menu button on your Droid RAZR/RAZR MAXX (CDMA).
- Click the button labeled Boot Options.
- Activate romslot-1 and follow the instructions on the device.
- We will be updating SafeStrap to use all ROM slots for Kexec soon.
- Follow the instructions below for installing CyanogenMod from recovery.
Installing CyanogenMod from recovery
- Make sure your computer has working adb.
- Download the CyanogenMod package for your device that you'd like to install to your computer.
- Optional: Download 3rd party applications packages, like Google Apps which are necessary to download apps from Google Play.
- Place the CyanogenMod
.zippackage, as well as any optional
.zippackages, on the root of
- Using adb:
adb push filename.zip /sdcard/
- Note: You can copy the
.zippackages to your device using any method you are familiar with. The
adbmethod is used here because it is universal across all devices and works in both Android and recovery mode. If you are in recovery mode, you may need to ensure
/sdcard(sometimes called Internal Storage) is mounted by checking its status in the Mounts menu. If you have booted regularly, USB debugging must be enabled.
- Using adb:
- If you are not already in recovery, boot to recovery mode now.
- Power and at SafeStrap splash screen press Menu key within 10 seconds
- In Team Win Recovery Project, select menu choices by tapping on the appropriately labelled button.
- Optional (Recommended): Select the Backup button.
- Select Wipe and then Factory Reset. If you're getting an error formatting /data, try format /data and /data/media from the Mounts and Storage Menu.
- Select Install.
- Navigate to
/sdcardand select the CyanogenMod
- Follow the on-screen notices to install the package.
- Optional: Install any additional packages you wish using the same method (if you are installing multiple packages, install CyanogenMod the first and then install any subsequent packages on top of it).
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu and select Reboot, then System. The device will now boot into CyanogenMod. Note that the first boot after installation may take 5 - 10 minutes.
See something wrong on this page? Report it here.