Install CM for p880
Modifying or replacing your device's software may void your device's warranty, lead to data loss, hair loss, financial loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done entirely at your own risk. No one affiliated with the CyanogenMod project is responsible for your actions. Good luck.
This guide will walk you through the process of taking the Optimus 4X HD from stock to having a custom recovery image and the ability to flash the latest version of CyanogenMod.
Unlocking the device
Unlocking the bootloader will automatically wipe all device data and will probably void warranty.
- Make sure your computer has working fastboot and adb.
- Enable USB debugging on the device.
- Enable OEM unlock in the Developer options settings on the device. (Note: Not all devices have this setting, so continue with next step if yours does not.)
- Connect the device to the computer through USB.
- From a terminal on a computer, type the following to boot the device into bootloader unlock mode:
adb reboot oem-unlock
- A disclaimer will display on the device that must be accepted. As it says, press volume up to unlock.
- This is where it will factory reset, when it says
Done... Now Ready!the device is officially bootloader unlocked.
- Now Pull the battery and re-insert it.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging on the device to continue.
Installing a custom recovery using fastboot
- You can directly download a recovery image using the link below, or visit twrp.me to obtain the latest version of TeamWin Recovery Project for your device.
- Recovery: Download
- Connect the Optimus 4X HD to the computer via USB.
- Make sure the fastboot binary is in your PATH or that you place the recovery image in the same directory as fastboot.
- Open a terminal on your PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing
adb reboot bootloader
- or by using the hardware key combination for your device while it is powered off.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC sees the device by typing
- Flash recovery onto your device by entering the following command:
fastboot flash recovery your_recovery_image.img
- where the latter part is the filename of the recovery image.
- Once the flash completes successfully, reboot the device into recovery to verify the installation.
- Note: Some ROMs overwrite recovery at boot time so if you do not plan to immediately boot into recovery to install CyanogenMod, please be aware that this may overwrite your custom recovery with the stock one.
Installing CyanogenMod from recovery
- Make sure your computer has working adb.
- Download the CyanogenMod package for your device that you'd like to install to your computer.
- Optional: Download 3rd party applications packages, like Google Apps which are necessary to download apps from Google Play.
- Place the CyanogenMod
.zippackage, as well as any optional
.zippackages, on the root of
- Using adb:
push filename.zip /sdcard/
- Note: You can copy the
.zippackages to your device using any method you are familiar with. The
adbmethod is used here because it is universal across all devices and works in both Android and recovery mode. If you are in recovery mode, you may need to ensure
/sdcard(sometimes called Internal Storage) is mounted by checking its status in the Mounts menu. If you have booted regularly, USB debugging must be enabled.
- Using adb:
- If you are not already in recovery, boot to recovery mode now.
- Volume Up & Power
- In Team Win Recovery Project, select menu choices by tapping on the appropriately labelled button.
- Optional (Recommended): Select the Backup button to create a backup.
- Select Wipe and then Factory Reset.
- Select Install (if you're running Cyanogen recovery this is Apply Update).
- Navigate to
/sdcardand select the CyanogenMod
- Follow the on-screen notices to install the package.
- Optional: Install any additional packages you wish using the same method (if you are installing multiple packages, install CyanogenMod first and then install any subsequent packages on top of it).
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu and select Reboot, then System. The device will now boot into CyanogenMod.