How to Install CyanogenMod on the Barnes & Noble Nook HD ("hummingbird")
Modifying or replacing your device's software may void your device's warranty, lead to data loss, hair loss, financial loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done entirely at your own risk. No one affiliated with the CyanogenMod project is responsible for your actions. Good luck.
This tablet followed the Nook Color and Nook Tablet and was released at the same time as the Nook HD+.
Installing CyanogenMod from recovery
- Download the CyanogenMod package for your device that you'd like to install to your computer.
- Optional: Download 3rd party applications packages, like Google Apps which are necessary to download apps from Google Play.
- Boot to recovery mode, and connect the phone to your computer through USB.
- Turn off your Nook HD. Hold the power button + home/n button. Then Nook should then power up, do NOT let go of power + home/n when the Nook turns on, keep hold of them. It will then load Cyanoboot, keep hold of the buttons. Let go off the power button after 3 seconds, and then re-hold the power button.
- In ClockworkMod Recovery, use the physical volume buttons to move up and down. On most devices, the power button is used to confirm a menu selection, but for some devices a physical home key acts as a selector. Some devices have touch enabled ClockworkMod Recovery, in which case you may be able to swipe to, or touch, menu selections.
- Optional (Recommended): Select backup and restore to create a backup of your current ROM.
- Select wipe data/factory reset.
- You have two options for transferring and installing the installation packages. Both cases require adb to be working in recovery. The sideload method is more universal across devices, whereas the push and install method is more commonly used:
- Sideload method: select install zip > install zip from sideload. Follow the on-screen notices to install the package. The installer does not necessarily display an "Install complete." message. You can tell the install is complete if there were no fatal error messages and you have regained control over the menu.
- Push and install method: Open a command prompt (or Terminal on Mac and Linux) and navigate to the directory holding the package(s) you would like to install. On the device, navigate to the mounts and storage menu. If you see
/storage/sdcard0as a mountable volume, go ahead and mount it. If you do not see this directory, then instead mount the
/datadirectory. Take note of which volume you mounted. Now, push the package(s) to your device:
- - If you mounted /storage/sdcard0, then:
adb push update.zip /storage/sdcard0/
- - If you mounted /data, then:
adb push update.zip /sdcard/0/
- - If you mounted /storage/sdcard0, then:
update.zipshould be replaced with the package filename. Go back to the main menu and select install zip. Choose to install from the same directory where you pushed the package(s). If you are installing multiple packages, install CyanogenMod first and then install any subsequent packages on top of it.
- Once installation has finished, return to the main menu and select reboot system now. The device will now boot into CyanogenMod.
See something wrong on this page? Report it here.
Installing CyanogenMod from CWM recovery
1. Format a 4gb+ SDcard as fat32.
2. Download this .zip file: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1703906&d=1360015429 and extract it so you have a .img file.
3. Download Win32DiskImager free here: http://iweb.dl.sourceforge.net/project/win32diskimager/Archive/Win32DiskImager-0.9.5-install.exe.
4. Flash the .img file using Win32DiskImager to your sdcard.
5. Download any version of Cyanogenmod you want and place it on your sdcard.
6. Insert your sdcard with the cyanogenmod .zip on your sdcard into your Nook HD.
7. You should see cyanoboot then the clockworkmod home screen. Use volume up/down to go up/down. Use power for back. N button to select.
8. Wipe your data and factory reset.
9. Choose install zip, choose from sd, and locate the cyanogenmod file you placed on the sdcard.
10. Click it and select flash.
11. When it is finished flashing, install gapps for the version of Cyanogenmod you selected.
13. Enjoy :)